Monday, March 26, 2012

A Good Display of Potential

Improvements everywhere on the field gave the Red Bulls what they deserved.
The lineup didn't surprise me except for one decision. If you read last week's post you'd know how much I love Markus Holgersson. Not a whole lot. I was hoping that having Conde back would rid Holgersson of his starting spot. But of course the scandanavian was picked over Keel. Fortunately Holgersson had a decent game which I credit to Conde's communication, organization, and leadership in the defense.
With midfield I'll start with Marquez. Many including myself have criticized his work rate and effort.
Marquez doesn't make it any easier on himself when he plays a phenomenal game for Mexico and then treats his next Red Bulls game like a high school jv scrimmage. To me, yesterdays game just prolonged Marquez's streak of mediocrity. He certainly wasn't much of a playmaker. I don't know if he doesn't like to warm up before games, but maybe he should try it sometime because some of his passes made him look like he had just woken up and stepped on the field. Also he just seemed too panicky on the ball, making too many snap decisions that led to give aways. All in all what I can say good about Marquez is still limited, perhaps he helped by just being a good presence on the field, but for a designated player, he should be doing much better.
Good games from Kenny and especially Henry. You can't complain when you get a double (should've been a hatrick for Henry) from both of your starting strikers.
But what was the key to this crucial and convincing 4-1 win? The Bulls' speed of play on the break. Maybe this was partially due to spotty defense by Colorado, but the Red Bulls were able to find the gaps in Colorado and find them fast.
Key players this game: Henry - two goals and an assisst speak for themself, Conde - finally organized the defense, Meara - deserved a shutout, he's not looking much like a rookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment